Establish a Conservation Commission

NHACC is proud of the work of the 217 conservation commissions in New Hampshire. These commissions provide our state with more than 1,500 committed conservation volunteers. If you would like to establish a conservation commission in your municipality you will need propose the idea to the local legislative body (town meeting, city council or board of aldermen). In a town, an article establishing a conservation commission must be placed on the warrant in order to be considered at town meeting. Such an article might be worded:

"To see if the town will vote to establish a conservation commission of ___ (3 to 7) members and ___ alternate members in accordance with RSA 36-A, said members to be appointed within ___ days of the annual meeting by the selectmen, who also shall designate a temporary chairman for the purpose of calling the first meeting of the commission."

Once a municipality has voted to establish a conservation commission, it has the powers and duties described in RSA 36-A and other statutes. The number of members and alternate members on a particular commission is determined by the vote creating it. The law allows for no less than 3 and no more than 7 members on a conservation commission. The RSA 36-A:3 also states "Alternate members may be appointed in a like manner".  So you can have up to 7 full members plus alternates.

If you would like to add members to your commission because a larger commission is deemed desirable, then an article must be placed on the town warrant (or the city ordinance must be amended) to authorize the appointment of additional members up to the maximum of 7 allowed by RSA 36-A.

If you are interested in starting a conservation commission in your community contact NHACC for assistance.